Key changes in planning, design and management can save 40% of course development time the first year, and 60% for subsequent years.
1. Online instruction is front-loaded with time and effort, so strategies for automation and modular, reusable content pay off in time savings
2. Multiple courses and sections require multiple hours of busy-work-tinkering on trivial tasks…taking away from the your instructional focus…unless you set up “Write-once Use-many” strategies
3. Learning Management Systems (LMSs) provide exciting benefits to students and teachers, but strategic tools, software, scripts and online services can extend the capacities of every LMS
1. Implement specific Action Steps to shortcut the course development process by eliminating duplicate effort, by automating repeated processes and by re-using modular components
2. Employ strategies to eliminate busy-work tasks to decrease time-wasting efforts
3. Use tools, software, scripts and online services to augment the capacities of each institution-prescribed Learning Management System (LMS)